When is a "Drug Allergy" Not a Drug Allergy?

From White Coat Rants:

"Penicillin “allergies” are notorious. When I ask the patient what their allergic reaction is, they tell me “My mom just always told me I was allergic. I must have had a reaction when I was a little kid.” That’s it. So what do you do?

I have to blame some physicians for not explaining to the patients that nausea, flushing, diarrhea, and bad tastes in the mouth are NOT allergies. They are adverse reactions."

References:
Is This Patient Allergic to Penicillin? An Evidence-Based Analysis of the Likelihood of Penicillin Allergy. JAMA. 2001;285:2498-2505.
A Picture of a Mutated Mast Cell. The Happy Hospitalist, 02/2008.
Unique Medical Allergies. White Coat, 2011.
Image source: Allergies list, White Coat Rants.

Related:
My Newest Medical Problem. White Coat's Call Room. Emergency Physicians Monthly, 2009.
"Are you allergic to any medications?" sometimes yields unexpected answers... http://goo.gl/u185

No comments:

Post a Comment