Girl's death highlights allergy safety in schools - CNN video
- There is no cure for food allergies
- About 8% of U.S. children under 18 have at least one food allergy
- Epinephrine is the first line life-saving medication in severe food allergic reaction. Always carry an EpiPen with you, and remember these simple memory rules in severe food allergic reaction:
- "No Epi, no eat-y" (always carry an EpiPen with you, don't sit down to eat if you don't have an EpiPen available)
- "If it's more than the skin, the Epi goes in" (only mild hives may respond to antihistamine, for anything else you may need an EpiPen)
Girl's death highlights allergy safety in schools. CNN, 2012.