Using too much perfume can trigger non-allergic rhinitis

Yes, using too much perfume, air fresheners or scented candles can trigger non-allergic rhinitis. Here are some tips for "less is more" from the WSJ:

What are the causes of nonallergic rhinitis?

The exact cause of nonallergic rhinitis is not usually known. However, many triggers of symptoms are known, and include tobacco smoke, traffic fumes, or strong odors and perfumes. People with nonallergic rhinitis are not usually bothered by pollen or furred animals (the common triggers in allergic rhinitis). However, 50% of people with this condition may also have allergic rhinitis (this is called mixed rhinitis).

What are the treatments of nonallergic rhinitis?

Treatment of nonallergic rhinitis includes trigger avoidance, nasal medications, nasal rinsing or irrigation.

How to avoid the scented triggers of nonallergic rhinitis?

Exposure to strong perfumes and scented products may be more difficult to avoid. People who are bothered by these items should avoid using them and may need to request that coworkers, family, or friends do the same. Some workplaces have policies regarding the use of strongly scented personal products.

Here are the treatment options for non-allergic rhinitis:

Treatment Options for 
Non-Allergic Rhinitis (NAR) (click to enlarge the image).


Nonallergic rhinitis (runny or stuffy nose)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin