Coronary stents made of nickel are safe for patients allergic to nickel - Mayo Clinic video

Mayo Clinic researchers have found that cardiac patients who have skin allergies to metals commonly found in jewelry, such as nickel, are at no higher risk for complications if they receive a stent containing these metal components.

The study included 29 patients with a history of skin allergies to stent metal components who subsequently underwent coronary stent implantation. The research team compared clinical outcomes with a matched control group of 250 non- metal allergic patients who received similar stents. In addition to following the study patients' outcomes in the long term, the team reviewed blood to look for signs of allergic reactions.

According to the lead author: "We found no change compared with pre- and post- stent placement in the metal-allergic patients. While we can't be definitive in our advice or counseling, we can suggest that based on our experience, there doesn't appear to be any evidence of both acute and long-term harm."

The study was published in Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions. The video is below:



References:

Mayo Clinic study confirms stents are safe for patients allergic to metal

Outcomes After Coronary Stent Implantation in Patients With Metal Allergy. CIRCINTERVENTIONS.111.966614

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/02/2014

    I must disagree with this doctor I just left Mayo clinic in Rochester and it was confirmed that the wire containing nickel was in fact causing many internal issues from vomiting, muscle aches, rashes, fatigue, etc...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin