Top "asthma capitals" for 2008:
1. Knoxville, TN
2. Tulsa, OK
3. Milwaukee, WI
4. Atlanta, GA
5. Memphis, TN
6. Allentown, PA
7. Charlotte, NC
8. Greenville, SC
9. St. Louis, MO
10. Greensboro, NC
A full report of the rankings for 100 cities is available at AsthmaCapitals.com. The annual list is based on research sponsored by AstraZeneca.
Rankings are based on analysis of 12 factors grouped into three categories:
1. Prevalence factors such as the crude death rate (CDR) for asthma and estimated prevalence of adult and pediatric asthma.
2. Risk factors such as air pollution, pollen counts and public smoking bans
3. Medical factors such as the number of asthma medications used per patient and the number of asthma specialists in the area.
Click here for the PDF of the full report of 100 cities. For example, this is the list of the cities in Florida with the number of asthma specialists in the area:
- Pensacola, average
- Tampa, below average
- Jacksonville, below average
- Orlando, average
- Lakeland, below average
- Sarasota, below average
- West Palm Beach, below average
- Melbourne, below average
- Fort Myers, average
- Daytona Beach, below average
Asthma Capitals Ranking Methodology. AAFA.org.
Image source: Wikipedia, public domain.
Asthma ranking's not news to doctors. Greensboro, NC.